David Belmar, Man With Knife, Arrested Outside London’s Buckingham Palace, Uk Police Say

Quick Clicks Alleged al Qaeda operative pleads… The animal was born to 5-year-old first-time-mom Melati just three weeks ago, and its arrival was greeted with huge excitement and celebration at the zoo, where experts were “over-the-moon” about the birth. But on Saturday, keepers raised the alarm when they could no longer see the young tiger on cameras inside its den; a search of the enclosure revealed the animal’s body. It is thought Melati carried the cub out into the paddock area of the zoo’s “Tiger Territory,” where it fell into the pond and drowned. “We’re heartbroken by what’s happened,” said London Zoo’s Malcolm Fitzpatrick. Melati is said to be a very nervous tiger who prefers routine, and experts at the zoo had opted to allow her full access to the whole enclosure fearing that any changes to her environment might cause her to injure or abandon her cub. “At the time we thought it was in the best interests of Melati and her cub to allow her continued access to the full enclosure as normal,” Fitzpatrick said. “We didn’t want to put her on edge by changing her surroundings or routines, in case she abandoned or attacked the cub.” London Zoo is to carry out a full review of the circumstances which led to the cub’s death. “We would do anything to turn back the clock, and nobody could be more upset about what’s happened than the keepers who work with the tigers every day,” said Fitzpatrick. They are devoted to those tigers and are distraught.” The zoo had kept Melati’s pregnancy a secret for about 105 days before her cub was born on Sept. 22. Hidden cameras were installed in her enclosure to keep watch over her throughout, and the speedy birth, which lasted just six minutes, was also caught on video. Copyright 2013 by CNN NewSource .

It looks like we caught it just at the right time, he said. Country homes are coming back into fashion, after lagging behind urban locations such as Londons West End since the 2007 financial crisis when banks cut off mortgages. Prices for manor houses, farmhouses and cottages valued at more than 750,000 pounds climbed at the fastest rate in more than three years in the third quarter, Knight Frank LLP said in a report today, as Prime Minister David Cameron makes reviving the housing market central to his efforts to pull the economy out of recession. Its U.K. economic growth and broader housing-market confidence, said Liam Bailey , global head of residential research at the London-based property broker. The government last week introduced the second phase of its Help to Buy program, which offers mortgage guarantees that allow purchases with down payments as low as 5 percent. The first phase, which began in April, provided interest-free loans for buyers of newly built homes. Bigger Appetite The program has contributed to the most buoyant housing market since the financial crisis, even as two thirds of 31 economists surveyed by Bloomberg described it as bad policy. The governments measure will lead to a stronger market without causing a bubble, the EY Item Club, a London-based group sponsored by Ernst & Young LLP, said in a report today. Help to Buy has obviously been a catalyst that has encouraged people, Bailey said by phone. Its stimulated appetite to get into the market and thats not only the lower-end first-time buyers — its right through into the prime sector. In July, homebuyers took out 3,900 loans of 500,000 pounds or more, the most since September 2007, according to the Council of Mortgage Lenders. Theres also more willingness to lend at higher loan-to-value ratios, according to Henry Knight, managing director at mortgage broker Springtide Capital Ltd. Two years ago, Barclays Plcs Woolwich unit, Nationwide Building Society and Lloyds Banking Group Plcs Halifax stopped agreeing mortgages for more than about 1 million pounds, but now theyve moved up to 2 million pounds and some have gone to 3 million, Knight said by phone.

London turns to social media to engage Iran

14, 2013. / AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis (CBS/AP) LONDON – David Belmar, a 44-year-old man in possession of a knife, was arrested after he tried to dart through a gate at Buckingham Palace in London on Monday, police said. The palace said Queen Elizabeth II was not in residence. Breaches of royal security are rare, but just a month ago police arrested two men over a suspected break-in at the palace. Police said Monday Belmar was apprehended as he tried to run through security at a palace gate that serves both pedestrians and vehicles. They searched him and found a knife. They arrested him and he was later charged with trespassing on a protected site and possession of a bladed/pointed article. The man is currently in custody at a London police station, the force added, stressing that the man was apprehended “immediately.” He is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday. That was not the case in September’s embarrassing breach, when an intruder was discovered prowling around the palace after scaling a fence, and an alleged accomplice was also arrested. That was judged one of the most serious incidents since Michael Fagan managed to sneak into the queen’s private chambers in 1982. 1

London’s Wealthy Seek Slice of Downton as Prices Rise

Crest Nicholson Says U.K. Way Off Housing Bubble

15, 2013 | 12:39 PM LONDON, Oct. 15 (UPI) — The British government said Tuesday it was reaching out to the Iranian people through social media to get around a diplomatic blockade. “Since the closure of our embassy in 2011, the U.K. has remained keen to stay in touch with Iranians,” the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said in a statement Tuesday. “Our social media channels have helped us to maintain contact online.” The FCO said it had three separate social media platforms set up to engage directly with Iranians. British Foreign Minister William Hague spoke last week by phone with his Iranian counterpart, Javad Zarif. Hague said both sides agreed to appoint non-resident charge d’affaires and work toward establishing formal diplomatic ties. The British Embassy in Tehran closed in November 2011 following an attack the British government said was the work of “government-sponsored militias.” The Iranian Embassy in London closed as well. The British government said diplomatic ties were intact but at the lowest level necessary to maintain diplomatic relations. “We are always looking for ways to develop our social media presence across a range of channels to continue an open conversation with Iranians in the U.K. and elsewhere,” the FCO said. 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.